“Polly’s empathetic approach has been very valuable and treasured, something I take home with me. I feel much better equipped to deal with my difficult circumstances.”
“You offer the perfect level of understanding and various techniques to assist with problems and dilemmas”
- Senior Accredited and Registered Member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, (MBACP Snr Accred.)
- Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups, Awarded Distinction, The Grove London, training accredited by National Council for Psychotherapists, 2018
- Advanced Online Therapy, 2020
- The Foundation for Infant Loss, Accredited Professional, 2018
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Awarded Distinction, York St. John University, 2015
- Transactional Analysis 101, United Kingdom Association for Transactional Analysis, 2014
- Postgraduate Diploma in Careers Guidance, University of East London, 2003
- Certificate in Counselling, Central School of Counselling and Therapy, London, 1999
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education, University of York, 1997
- BA Hons. French Studies, University of Warwick, 1995
2015 - Present
- Existential Approaches to Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Understanding and responding to Self-harm
- Working with Suicide and Suicide Ideation, Assessment and Risk Management
- Working with Dreams
- Menopause and life transitions
-Neuroscience for effective clinical practice, including Polyvagal Theory
- Working with Drugs and Alcohol
- Working with Culture and Difference
- Online Therapy and relational depth
- CBT for Anxiety and Depression
- Binge Eating and Over-eating
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Sex Addiction
- Anger Management
- Loss and mourning
- Adult Safeguarding
- Internal Family Systems
-Somatic Therapy: Enhancing Embodiment in Trauma Treatment
- Delivery of guided CBT for overcoming children's fears and worries to parents and carers
- Sexuality, gender and sex
- Working with psychiatric drugs, withdrawal and dependence
I am a professionally qualified Counsellor and a Senior Accredited and Registered Member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). This means that I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
As a Senior Accredited BACP Member I am required to keep to a high standard of on-going training and development and attend regular clinical supervision to ensure I provide all my clients with an ethical and safe professional service. This is of utmost importance to me.
I hold a Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy, awarded Distinction. I embrace difference in all its rich manifestations. I have experience working with a wide diversity of clients, in terms of age, cultural background, gender identity and sexuality and of counselling clients on a variety of issues. I love working with people from all walks of life and getting to know you as an individual.
I offer Supervision to practising counsellors and psychotherapists working from a range of theoretical orientations working in a variety of settings. I have a Diploma in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups, awarded Distinction.
Alongside my Private Practice I am a Tutor on the Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling at York St John University.
I have previously worked as a Therapist in a number of different settings, most recently at The Tuke Centre, the outpatient therapy service at The Retreat, in York. I am an Anxiety UK Approved Therapist and have offered therapeutic support to Anxiety UK members and beneficiaries. I am also an accredited professional by The Foundation for Infant Loss.
I have a number of years experience working for York Mind,, the mental health charity, where I also offered counselling to those Caring for others. I have three years experience of counselling in a University setting at the University of Bradford Counselling Service, where I worked with a diversity of clients from a range of cultural backgrounds from the UK and Internationally. I also have extensive experience with Children and Young People, through previous work as a Secondary School Teacher and also through delivering telephone, email and online counselling for ChildLine.
My interest in Counselling was sparked in the 1990s when I worked in Student Support Services at the University of Warwick. In my role as Welfare Officer I supported individuals experiencing emotional and psychological distress. Whilst working as a Secondary School Teacher, in London, I found myself drawn to my pastoral responsibilities and embarked on my formal Counsellor training.
Additionally I am a qualified and experienced Careers Adviser and have worked for the University of London in a number of institutions, and also, the University of York, offering Career Counselling to support students, graduates and staff to make effective career choices in keeping with their individual strengths and needs. I have also taught English as a Foreign Language in Moldavia and France.
This varied career history has brought me into contact with a broad range of people and I hope this enhances my therapeutic skills and my capacity to develop warm and supportive relationships with my clients.